Making the First Day of School Special
The kids start school Monday! I should be dancing, but Back to School is more stressful than exciting for me. I am a total Helicopter Mom. I like to know what they are doing, be there to keep them in line, etc.
This year is the first time I will be alone during the day in almost 10 years. The Girl is starting Kindergarten (all day here) and The Boy will be in 4th Grade.
This year is different since they both start school the same day.
How to make Back to School special:
1. Special Back to School outfit. I don’t buy full wardrobes for the First Day. I buy most of the clothes for Summer vacation, but will pick out a special First Day of school outfit for them to wear.
2. Bake them their favorite treat for snack or dessert the First Day.
3. Dinner is their favorite the First Day.
I haven’t figured out what I am baking yet, but thinking of cookies (M&M perhaps). A dinner they both would agree on is Pork Chops. I can make onion rings (in the oven) that he’ll like and get some corn on the cob for her. I should have time to make rolls using the bread machine to make the dough.
What is my First Day?
Probably waiting for them to get home! Hoping they got on and off bus and to class okay. After a week it gets easier for me.
The rest of the year?
I won’t be waiting for them to get home everyday. I have an unending list of things to do, but the main ones aree:
1. Work on Scout stuff. This is the Webelos year so A LOT to do in the next year and a half.
2. Errands..I’m sadly excited to be able to make doctor appointments during the day for me without The Hubs having to take off work.
3. Finish painting the living room and other household projects